As part of the NC AHEC Scholars Program, the Area L AHEC Scholars Program recruits, trains, and supports a diverse group of students enrolled in health professions across Edgecombe, Halifax, Nash, Northampton, and Wilson counties. We seek individuals who are committed to improving health and health care, devoted to community service, interested in improving their own skills, and interested in working with other professionals in team-based care.
Students will receive the distinction as an AHEC Scholar, which sets them apart from others in the competitive environment of health care. The experience as an AHEC Scholar will also give students a chance to interact with health care professionals and create an invaluable network for their future careers.
Our emphasis will be on recruiting students from underrepresented minorities, disadvantaged/rural backgrounds, and first-generation college families with the primary goal of improving diversity and distribution of all health professions in eastern North Carolina. We recognize that the healthcare needs of individuals living in eastern North Carolina are unique to other parts of the state and our aim is to address those specific needs to improve health and increase quality of life.
AHEC Scholars Program Requirements
Eligibility Requirements to Apply:
- Must be currently enrolled in a college-level, full-time, health professions education training program within Edgecombe, Halifax, Nash, Northampton, or Wilson County including, but not limited to:
- Allied-health related major (ex. exercise science, gerontology, health care administration, health promotion)
- Dentistry/Dental Hygiene
- Occupational Therapy
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Physical Therapy
- Public Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Social Work
- Reliable access to Wi-Fi
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Eligible to work inside the United States
*If you are unsure if your degree program is eligible, reach out to Jordan Blake at email@example.com.
AHEC Scholars Program Commitments:
- Be committed to the program for a total of two years
- Complete 40 hours of didactic training each year of the program
- Complete 40 hours of experiential/clinical training each year of the program
- May receive a stipend of $1,000 per year ($2,000 total- subject to academic or institutional approval)
- Receive the distinction as an AHEC Scholar and be set apart from others in the competitive environment of health care
- Opportunity to interact with healthcare professionals, gain exposure to health careers, and create an invaluable network for your future career
- *Stay tuned for more information regarding applications for the 2024-2025 year.*
- If you have any specific questions regarding the Area L AHEC Scholars Program, please contact Jordan Blake or call 252-972-6958.