Student Housing


Area L AHEC is pleased to provide housing for students during community-based training experiences within Edgecombe, Halifax, Nash, Northampton, and Wilson counties.  Seven apartments are maintained in Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids.

Register for Housing

Each apartment is completely furnished, including cookware, microwave oven, coffee maker, toaster, and washer/dryer.  Wireless Internet access is also provided.  Students are responsible for bringing sheets (twin bed), towels, blankets, toiletries, and other expendable items. Students are also expected to help keep the apartments clean and in good condition.  Each apartment can accommodate up to four students (two twin beds per room).  Student spouses or family members cannot be accommodated.  Pets are PROHIBITED.

When AHEC housing is available, students are requested to use this lodging.  Students who choose not to utilize available AHEC housing are responsible for securing and paying for their own lodging.

Students from the following schools are considered to have an affiliation with the NC AHEC program:

  • University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • University of North Carolina at Charlotte
  • University of North Carolina at Greensboro
  • University of North Carolina at Wilmington
  • Campbell University
  • Duke University
  • East Carolina University
  • Winston-Salem State University
  • Western Carolina University
  • Wake Forest University

Housing is available at the following locations:

Application for Housing

Applications are processed in the order they are received, so early reservations are advised.  Submit your application as soon as your rotation dates are confirmed.  Other applications will be accepted, space permitting, on a first-come, first-served basis. Submit an application as soon as rotation dates are confirmed, even if you are not AHEC affiliated. It is advised that all students make reservations as early as possible.

In order to receive instructions on where to get your key, you need to complete the required online forms and submit the $75 refundable deposit check. Area L AHEC will hold your check until after you leave and we have determined you cleaned the apartment and returned your key. Instructions on what cleaning is expected and how to return the key will be provided.  If you have cleaned and returned the key, we will shred the check and not deposit it.  If you fail to clean adequately, we will deposit the check and keep your full deposit.  If you clean but fail to return the key, the check will be deposited and $25 will be kept for not returning the key. The deposit checks can be made out to Area L AHEC and mailed as follows:

Attn: Michaela Karriker
PO Drawer 7368
Rocky Mount, NC 27804

If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding housing please contact Michaela Karriker, our Program Assistant for Student Training and Housing. She can be reached at 252-972-6958 or by email